Best & Worst House Buying Companies Revealed for 2023
Updated October 2023
Which company that buys houses can you trust to legitimately deliver on their promises? This guide reveals everything you need to know, we review your best options, answer important questions and lay out the positives & negatives of a cash home sale.
BONUS Checklist: 11 Essential things to check before proceeding with any house buying company.
Use the content links below to skip to the section you need.
- Who is the Best House Buying Company?
- Which House Buying Companies to Avoid?
- Are they worth it in today's Housing Market?
- Market Conditions & House Buying Companies
- What are Cash House Buying Companies?
- Types of Quick Sale Companies
- Are Quick House Buyers any Good?
- How Companies that Buy your House Work
- Are Property Buying Companies Reputable?
- How to Spot Scams & Fraudulent House Purchasing Companies
The Best House Buying Companies Ranked for 2023
Selling your home and moving on can be exciting, overwhelming and scary all at the same time. Similarly, if this is your first time in the property market, it can be difficult to find agents and buyers you can trust; most importantly, you will be looking for prospective buyers who realise the actual value of your home.
With the above in mind, we have done the hard work for you and reviewed a number of quick sale firms and ranked them accordingly to find the best cash house buyers UK. Our review takes into account online reputation based on external reviews, experience in the quick sale niche and overall perks offered to sellers. Below is the list of the top property buying companies in the UK.
One of the oldest and most reputable home buying companies, crucially, they are genuine cash buyers that utilise their own funds to buy property. They will buy any house in any condition and can complete a house sale in as little as 7 days.
Their unbeatable "completion guarantee" sets them apart from competitors - they are the only firm to offer this perk.
In addition, unlike most competitors who state they purchase with their own funds but actually operate an online estate agent service arm, Housebuyers4u does not participate in this system.
They are registered with the Property Ombudsman & the National Association of Property Buyers and follow the TPOS code of practice.
Housebuyers4u has had its research and expertise published in multiple national newspapers such as The Metro and The Daily Mail. In addition, they have bylines in several high-authority property sites such as EstateAgentToday and HouseBeautiful.
You can find multiple Housebuyer4u reviews on their Trustpilot.
Good Move were incorporated in 2015, so they are still a fairly new company in house buying space.
They operate as both a house buying company and estate agency.
They cover all fees when selling, however, they only cover £500 towards your own solicitor’s fees.
Also, if you're selling a high value property be sure to confirm funds as they do not have much experience in purchasing properties over £550k.
Founded in 2012 The Property Buying Company is a quick sale firm that has been around for a while.
Like most true companies that buy with cash, they offer a quick sale and are able to complete a house in 7 days in certain circumstances (but typically it's between 2-3 weeks).
They are members of the NAPB and the Property Ombudsman so it's fairly safe to use them to sell your property.
The majority of their reviews are positive, however, there have been some customer reviews to suggest their service is not always up to scratch.
Formed in 2006, Property Solvers is a not only a quick sale firm but also operates as an estate agency and auction house.
As with most genuine direct buyers, they offer a fast sale and complete a house in 7 days in certain circumstances (but typically, it's between 7-28 days)
Considering their different services, they have little online feedback from customers on key third-party sites like Trustpilot and Google reviews.
Be sure to do your research and verify no last-minute price drops and that they cover all legal and associated fees.
Quick Move Now has been around since 1998, making them one of the oldest fast-sale companies still trading.
They are genuine buyers and have completed many sales over the years.
If you're considering using the company, confirm that they buy any house in any condition and use their own funds to purchase the property fast.
Founded in 2003, National Homebuyers is a UK-based company that buys houses, with its headquarters located in West Sussex, England.
They have been purchasing homes for many years and are well known for their 'home buyer man' television adverts.
National homebuyers are not registered with the Property Ombudsman or the National Association of Property Buyers, so before using the company, confirm that they have the capital in place to purchase a property fast and ensure they buy any house in any condition.
In addition, confirm which fees they will cover and how much of them.
HouseBuyFast is a house-buying company based in Worthing and was founded in 2008.
They have been in the quick sale market for many years, and their co-founder Jonathan Rolande is well-known in the property space.
HouseBuyFast is registered with the Property Ombudsman and is one of the founding members of the National Association of Property Buyers, so they must adhere to their codes and practices.
Their big claim is that they can purchase a home within 3 days. So if you choose to sell with HouseBuyFast and need a sale within 3 days, be sure to confirm the specifics of how this will be done before proceeding with negotiations.
Founded in 2014, Open Property Group is a property-buying company based in the UK, headquartered in Gerrards Cross, on the outskirts of London, England.
Open Property Group are registered with the Property Ombudsman and is one of the founding members of the National Association of Property Buyers, so they must adhere to their codes and practices.
In addition, they are also professionally affiliated with the FSB, Buckinghamshire Business First, the Residential Landlord Association (RLA).
They claim they will buy any house in any condition. Be sure to confirm the specifics of this and if any exemptions apply if you decide to sell with them.
Formed in 2012, Springbok Properties is not only a quick sale firm but also offers a number of other services, such as an assisted house
sale and a sale and rent back service.
As with most trustworthy companies, they offer a speedy sale and complete a house in 7 days in certain circumstances but typically 21 days.
They offer many different services and, as a result, have many online reviews from third-party sites like Trustpilot and Google reviews.
Because they offer a number of services, be sure to do your research and verify that your sale will be given top priority if you were to sell with them.
SpringMove is a UK-based company that offers its clients a wide range of services. Initially founded in 2007 as National Property Trade, the company has since grown to become one of the top-performing companies.
Their services include property sales, lettings, property management, mortgages, and conveyancing. SpringMove claims to provide its clients with a stress-free and hassle-free experience thanks to its team of experienced property professionals.
SpringMove's fees will vary as they offer a wider range of services beyond just buying properties, so be sure to confirm fees beforehand before proceeding with sales talk.
WeBuyNow is a reputable UK-based property buying company that provides fast and efficient services to homeowners looking to sell.
Established over 15 years ago, the company is part of the Springbok Group and boasts a high customer rating of 4.7/5 based on many reviews. They offer a quick cash sale process, promising completion within 7 to 21 days. WeBuyNow prides itself on offering competitive prices, claiming to pay more than competitors for properties in favourable locations and conditions.
While WeBuyNow provides fast service, they focus on properties in prime locations and conditions. You may not receive their advertised high offers if your property doesn't meet their criteria. Understand their valuation process before proceeding.
Ready Steady Sell, co-founded by Lisa Hayes, serves as a conduit between homeowners and potential buyers, aiming to provide impartial advice and securing the best deals for sellers.
They boast a network of legitimate buyers facilitating quick sales. Unlike typical property buying firms, they don't purchase homes directly but provide a platform for offer comparisons from vetted buyers.
While Ready Steady Sell offers a platform to connect sellers with buyers, homeowners might not find an immediate solution as this company does not buy properties directly.
British Home Buyers, established in 2012, strives to transform the fast house buying sector in the UK. With a professional team, they ease the selling process for homeowners, ensuring a transparent, reliable, and fee-free service.
They offer free home valuations, offers, and handle sales transactions. Their website also provides valuable information for homeowners through guides and comparisons, aiming for an informed and stress-free selling experience.
The offered sale prices, aligned with rapid transactions, may not always reflect the full market value, necessitating a balanced consideration between speed and return on investment.
Gavin Brazg is a house sales expert who founded The Advisory in 2005.
Although Gavin offers fantastic property sales advice, the organisation itself is not a direct house-buying company hence why it should not be used to sell your home.
According to their website, The Advisory has several 'Advisory approved' quick sale companies that customers can get access to. As far as we know, The Advisory refers customers to these buyers (In return for a fee to the buying company)
Ask Susan has been operating for over 12 years and claims to buy any house quickly within 7 days.
Ask Susan is not registered with the National Association or the Property Ombudsman.
In addition, they only have 1 negative review on Trustpilot and 6 reviews on Google (3 negative).
Be sure to confirm they have the available funds to purchase your property, completion time and fees paid well in advance before signing anything.
Sell house fast is a property buying company claiming to purchase over 300+ houses yearly.
They promise a fast property valuation and guaranteed offer within days.
Considering their claim to purchase many homes yearly, they have very few online reviews. Of the 3 reviews they have on Google, 1 is negative.
In addition, according to their Google my business profile, they have closed.
As a customer, be sure to do your due diligence as you do not want to submit your personal details to idle or closed organisations.
Property Cash Buyers, a UK-based entity, emerged during the 2008 financial crisis under the leadership of Daniel Morgan, with the vision of assisting homeowners entangled in complex sales chains.
With over a decade in operation, they offer a suite of solutions - quick sales, assisted property sales, and lease option sales, catering to varied seller needs.
While they promise near-market value offers, understanding their valuation and sale processes is crucial for prospective sellers. Be sure to check their reviews on TrustPilot and do your due diligence before using their service.
Is it Worth Considering these Companies in today's Property Market?
Companies that buy property have changed the current UK market by giving owners another way to sell their homes beyond the traditional estate agent route. Traditional methods of finding a buyer are not as effective anymore – the offers are too low, the process is too long, and the market has more frequent stagnant periods. As long as you are dealing with a reputable house-buying service, you can complete a sale and get paid faster than ever.
While the number of homeowners has increased by more than one million since 1997, the current economic conditions, such as the recent increase in interest rates and the cost of living crisis, have caused house prices to fall throughout England. As a result, there are many homeowners who are ready to cash in on their properties, and it’s easier than ever for them to find buyers without involving a middleman like an estate agent.
This paradigm shift has had a considerable impact on the property industry, giving an edge to companies who purchase properties without the need for staging, viewing, boards, etc. – leading to a quick, pain-free sale.
As such, sellers are no longer willing to be tied down by an estate agent because they are afraid of the market. It also means that the sale process can start with online house buyers like Housebuyers4u.
Market Conditions that can Affect a House Buying Company
UK house prices surged in 2021 before cooling in 2022, impacting house buying companies. During the boom, quick sales and profits were easier. However, as prices stabilised, companies had to offer competitive services, including cash-only deals or property management, to attract sellers. The need for adaptability is clear in this changing market.
How House Buying Companies Adapt to Market Fluctuations in 2023
Market fluctuations are inevitable, and for UK house buying companies, adaptability is key. When housing prices fluctuate, these companies need to adjust their strategies to protect their interests.
In periods of rising house prices, companies might decide to quickly sell their recently acquired properties to capitalise on the high prices. However, during periods of price drops or stagnation, they might choose to hold onto properties longer, waiting for a more favourable market to sell.
Furthermore, changes in supply and demand can also lead to strategy adjustments. For example, in times of high demand and low supply, house buying companies may face stiff competition and need to act quickly to secure properties. In contrast, during periods of low demand and high supply, these companies may be more selective, taking their time to acquire properties that offer the best potential returns.
Interest Rates and Their Influence on House Buying Companies
Interest rates significantly affect house buying companies in the UK. Low interest rates can increase demand for their services, but when rates rise, demand decreases.
Based on some data from RightMove, ThisisMoney the trend will continue and house prices may continue to fall as they did in June.
These fluctuations affect profitability, necessitating the adjustment of financing terms and lending criteria accordingly. These companies must understand these impacts to craft effective strategies.
What are Cash House Buying Companies?
As the wait times rise in the UK's property industry, there's been a need for ways to sell property faster and at a profit. A slump in the housing market makes selling to house buying companies a desirable option.
A typical property-buying company will make an immediate cash offer for your property. Those who are companies that buy houses for cash have funds readily available to purchase your property outright, without the need for a mortgage or having to sell another property to free up funds for buying your home.
Types of Quick Sale Companies
Above all, UK house-buying companies expedite and streamline the home-selling process for you because they actually buy your home rather than putting it on the open market. Before making your decision, read we buy any house reviews for your chosen house-buying company. That way, you can better choose a reliable cash house buyer that suits your needs.
Generally, you’ll find the following types of house-buying companies:
Genuine Cash Buyers
Non Genuine Cash Buyers
Real Estate Buyers Posing As ‘Advisors’
A serious disadvantage of working with estate agents is that you might sell over 3% below the original asking price. In a market where more than 8 in 10 homes routinely sell for less than the asking price, there has to be a better way to access the total cash value of your property. That’s where house purchase companies come in:
- A fast, no-hassle sale
- Straight cash sales using the company’s private equity
- Direct communication between the property buyer and seller
- Rapid sales process for homeowners who require an urgent sale
- Coverage of all fees and costs
- Coverage for all survey and renovation costs as needed
- Services available across the UK, including Scotland and Wales
How Companies that Buy your House Work
The 8-Step Home Selling Process that Works Every Time
Selling your property is a huge decision that you want to pay off spectacularly. However, the trouble is that traditional methods of finding a buyer don’t work anymore – the offers are too low, the process is too long, and the market is mostly stagnant.
A property purchasing company can ensure a quick house sale for you in this economy, thus relieving you from the hassle and stress that comes with the conventional process.
Additionally, selling your property to house buyers is straightforward. Here's how it goes:
1) Get In Touch: : Call your property-buying company and tell them about your property and how soon you want to sell it.
2) Get An Initial Offer: The cash-buying company will give you a no-obligation cash offer based on their in-house valuation service and your provided information.
3) Make A Decision: Take your time to think about their offer. Ask them as many questions as you need to ensure your satisfaction with the selling process.
4) The Survey: Once you’ve accepted the offer, the company will conduct an independent structural survey of your property. If the survey results are satisfactory and show no signs of major issues such as structural damage, damp, infestations, or no building regulation approval for extensions, then they move on to the next step.
5) Formal Offer: At this time, they will send you a written formal offer and go ahead with
the paperwork once you express your agreement.
6) Easy Paperwork: If you agree with the details in the paperwork, they move forward quickly, working with established solicitors to ensure that the sales process is smooth and quick. Companies will also cover costs such as conveyancing and solicitor’s fees. These can typically amount to up to £500-1000.
7) Sale Completion: The sales process is considered complete on the same day as the exchange of contracts, but you can choose the date as well. Just let the staff from your
house-buying company know your preferences.
8) Get Cash ASAP: The proceeds from the sale are usually transferred to your bank account within a week.
11 Essential things to check before proceeding with any buyer
How to check if a property buying company is reputable? There are many so-called 'direct payment buyers' out there with various names that include 'sell', 'quick', 'fast' and more. Despite using these types of phrases, many of these companies don't offer a true cash sale.
We've put together 11 important 'checks' you should do for a company before proceeding with any sales talk.
Another quick and easy way to find the best house buying companies is to use those that are members of the National Association of Property Buyers. In addition, they should have a reputation for making genuine offers that they deliver at all costs – there should be no chance of the deal falling through.
- A reputable quick sale firm will be members of the National Association of Property Buyers. The National Association of Property Buyers members must follow the strict professional standards set out in the Code of Practice, which The Property Ombudsman wrote. The Code of Practice is mandatory for all TPO members.
- Legitimate house buyers are regulated and adhere to the Code of Practice set out by the Property Ombudsman. The ombudsman does not regulate; the TPO provides redress and HouseBuyers4U dispute mediation. The TPO is a non-profit enterprise, not a gov agency. This means adhering to its code of conduct is optional. This is a long way from regulation. This is an accurate, clear explanation of homeowners' protections with quick sale companies: The quick house sale market isn’t regulated, so you aren’t protected when selling a property to one of these companies. But some companies choose to join The National Association of Property Buyers (NAPB), who make sure all members register with The Property Ombudsman (TPOS) and follow their Code of Conduct to treat sellers fairly. By using a company that’s part of the NAPB or TPOS, homeowners can complain to the ombudsman and get compensation if they find that the company has broken the TPOS Code of Practice.
- They have a reputation for making real offers and delivering on their word at all costs. As a homeowner you can confirm this by, checking the companies online reviews and reputation. Also, be sure to check the companies account to ensure they are true cash buyers.
- How much below market value do house-buying companies offer? These companies will readily offer 75% – 90% of the house’s market value.
- A sale can be completed as quickly as 7 – 14 days.
It is best to work with reputable company that buys with their own funds so you don't fall victim to scams and devious tactics that could cost you thousands of pounds and waste your time. We at HouseBuyers4u, always recommend you check their accounts. You can do this by asking the business who their underwriters are. After this, you can research the underwriter via companies house to see if they are a legitimate company.
Run away if the dodgy traders illude or seem to:
- Be undercover brokers or lead generation agencies. Sellers should look out for option agreements, very long quoted sale times, and companies/websites that ask for details but don't actually buy the house. They are just working to get your details so they can sell them to an actual company that can purchase this way with their own funds.
- They have an unnaturally high number of essentially fake reviews. Fake reviews are often short and come in around the same time. In addition, if every reviewer only has 1 review, it could mean they are creating new accounts just to leave multiple reviews and then leave the account dormant.
- They are not registered with the Property Ombudsman or NAPB (National Association of Property Buyers).
- Have a reputation for over-promising and making unrealistic offers. Homeowners should read reviews to see if any customers have experienced this.
- They lock you in by forcing you to sign paperwork for an option contract. An option agreement will give the company legal control of your property.
- Some home buyers use delay tactics to drag the selling process on for several months. A few examples of delay tactics you should watch out for include survey delays, won't release funds, not answering important queries, dragging on the completion of crucial paperwork and more.
- They drop the sale price when you are about to sign, so you feel like you have no other option but to sign.