Updated: January 2024
Exploring the most desired home features in the UK. What are today’s homebuyers looking for?
This article uncovers the top 10 features shaping desirable UK properties, from private gardens to energy-efficient systems. Discover the modern essentials that reflect evolving buyer preferences and priorities.
|Property Must Haves
|1) A Private Garden
|2) Central Heating
|3) Double Glazing
|4) Secure Windows & Doors
|5) Reliable Broadband
|6) A Good Energy Efficiency Rating
|7) A Driveway/Dedicated Parking Space
|8) Plenty of Electrical Sockets
|9) A New Boiler or Central Heating System
|10) A Local Shop & Amenities
You can find the full list here at Gocompare
1. The Lure of Outdoor Spaces: In today’s UK housing market, private gardens have emerged as a highly desirable feature. These outdoor spaces offer not just aesthetic appeal but also a personal oasis for relaxation and entertainment. They enhance the living experience by providing a connection to nature and an area for leisure activities, making them a top priority for modern homebuyers. The trend indicates that having a private garden significantly boosts curb appeal and the property’s attractiveness and value.
2. Central Heating: Double glazing has become a staple in modern homes for its significant benefits in comfort and energy efficiency. It involves two layers of glass with a space between them, creating an insulating barrier that reduces heat loss, noise pollution, and condensation. This feature is not just about thermal efficiency; it also plays a vital role in reducing energy costs and enhancing the overall living comfort of a home. The demand for double glazing reflects the growing awareness of eco-friendly living and energy savings among UK homeowners.
3. Double Glazing: A Key Feature for Comfort and Efficiency: In today’s UK housing market, private gardens have emerged as a highly desirable feature. These outdoor spaces offer not just aesthetic appeal but also a personal oasis for relaxation and entertainment. They enhance the living experience by providing a connection to nature and an area for leisure activities, making them a top priority for modern homebuyers. The trend indicates that having a private garden significantly boosts a property’s attractiveness and value.
4. Secure Windows and Doors Ensuring Safety: Security is a top priority for homeowners, making secure windows and doors essential features in modern properties. Effective security measures in these areas prevent unauthorized access and offer peace of mind. Advances in technology have led to the development of windows and doors that are not only robust and durable but also aesthetically pleasing. This focus on security aligns with the rising concerns about safety among property owners, emphasizing the importance of incorporating strong, reliable security features in homes.
5. Reliable Broadband – A Modern Essential: In today’s interconnected world, reliable broadband has become a critical aspect of modern homes. Dependable internet connectivity is not just a convenience but a necessity for work, education, entertainment, and staying connected. As remote working and online streaming become more prevalent, a robust broadband connection is increasingly becoming a deciding factor for homebuyers in the UK, reflecting the digital-centric lifestyle of contemporary society.
6. Energy Efficiency Rating – The Eco-Friendly Focus: The demand for energy-efficient homes, particularly those with effective central heating systems, has significantly risen in the UK. As energy costs increase and environmental awareness grows, homeowners prioritise energy efficiency in their living spaces. Central heating systems that are efficient and eco-friendly not only provide comfort but also contribute to reduced energy bills and lower carbon footprints. This shift reflects a broader trend towards sustainability in residential properties.
Related: Energy labels explained
7. Driveway or Dedicated Parking Space: The Convenience Factor: Private parking, such as a driveway or a dedicated space, is highly sought after by homebuyers for the convenience and security it offers. In urban areas where parking can be scarce and competitive, private space ensures peace of mind and ease of access. This feature is especially valuable for families with multiple vehicles and those who value the security of off-street parking.
8. Ample Electrical Sockets: Catering to a Digital Age: In contemporary homes, the demand for ample electrical sockets reflects the increasing use of electronic devices. With gadgets and appliances becoming integral to daily life, sufficient and conveniently located sockets are necessary for a comfortable, modern living experience. This need is driven by the digital age’s reliance on technology, making electrical accessibility a key feature in home design and functionality. This particular feature will also boost your chance of selling a property fast if you’re looking to move on!
9. New Boiler or Central Heating System: The Heart of a Home: A new boiler or efficient central heating system is a key consideration for homebuyers, representing the heart of a home’s warmth and comfort. Efficient heating systems not only provide a more comfortable living environment but also contribute to reduced energy costs and a lower carbon footprint. They are increasingly sought after for their role in enhancing a property’s energy efficiency and overall living quality.
10. Proximity to Local Shops and Amenities: Community Connectivity: The proximity of a property to local shops and amenities is highly valued for the convenience and community connectivity it offers. Being close to essential services, retail outlets, and recreational areas enriches the living experience, offering ease of access and a sense of belonging within the community. This feature particularly appeals to those prioritising easy access to daily necessities and community integration.
Final Thoughts and Key Takeaways
This exploration of the top 10 most desired home features for UK homes in 2022 highlights evolving priorities in the property market.
Key takeaways include:
- Outdoor Appeal: Private gardens are highly prized for their aesthetic and recreational value.
- Comfort Through Technology: Double glazing and central heating systems are essential for energy efficiency and comfort.
- Safety First: Secure windows and doors are non-negotiable for home security.
- Digital Connectivity: Reliable broadband is crucial in our increasingly online world.
- Eco-Conscious Living: Energy efficiency is a growing concern among homebuyers.
- Convenience Matters: Features like dedicated parking and ample electrical sockets cater to modern lifestyles.
- Investing in Warmth: New heating systems are a key consideration for comfort and efficiency.
- Community Access: Proximity to local shops and amenities is valued for convenience and sense of community.
These trends reflect a shift towards practical, eco-friendly, and technology-integrated living spaces in the UK’s current real estate market.